The Rotary Club of Tryon is excited to award Rotary Youth Leadership Awards scholarships to four local students.
Rotary Youth Leadership Awards (RYLA) provide the funding for high-school age students to attend a week-long camp where they get to embrace adventure, experience outdoor learning and expand leadership skills. The camp is sponsored by Rotary District 7670.
This year’s RYLA winners include Daniela Santibanez, Sydney Metcalf, Jackson Geddings and Eric Harrelson.
RYLA’s intent is to encourage students to be more effective leaders. RYLA is not a camp intended to teach leadership skills (it is assumed that the students in attendance already possess those skills). However, the following topics naturally arise in the course of RYLA activities and discussions:
- Fundamentals of leadershi
- Ethics of positive leadership
- Qualities of a “servant leader”
- Importance of communication skills in effective leadership
- Conflict management and problem solving
- Building self-esteem and self confidence
- Elements of community and global citizenship
- Rotary’s purpose of service to the community and world